Local public finance and provision of public services
Research in this area consists of public services such as health care, social services and education, as well as state and local public finance, local politics and housing.
Our research projects typically address the effects of public service policy reforms. In particular, we focus on the quality, productivity and effectiveness of public services.
We also have a joint research group on health economics together with the Helsinki Graduate School of Economics.
Current research topics include:
- the costs and benefits of health care information services: particularly the effectiveness of e-prescriptions
- early life environment and human capital formation
- learning outcomes and effectiveness of upper secondary schools.
- the effects of taxing and subsidizing housing
- housing policy and segregation
- voting, political choice and electoral systems.
- Call for papers: Helsinki Economics of Crime Workshop 8.-9.6.2020
- C-sections affect children’s health less than previously assumed
17.10.2019 Press release
- Study: Firms are not interested in bidding for public procurement contracts
11.4.2019 Press release
- Study: electronic prescribing can increase medication overuse
4.4.2019 Press release
- Small municipalities use central government transfers effectively to support their only general upper secondary school
1.3.2019 Press release