Local public finance and provision of public services
Research in this area encompasses public services such as health care, social services and education, as well as state and local public finance, local politics and housing markets.
Our research projects typically address the effects of policies and reforms relating to the provision of public services. This research pays particular attention to the quality, productivity and effectiveness of public services.
Issues in our current research on the provision of public services include:
- the costs and benefits of health care information services: in particular the effectiveness of electronic prescriptions;
- freedom of choice and competition in public specialist medical care;
- how diagnostics based on genomic information affect patient care, wellbeing and cost-effective health care.
VATT has strong expertise in researching municipal and regional finances and in political economics. In recent years extensive analysis has been carried out to support decision-making in areas including the state subsidy system and municipal regulation and obligations.
Issues in our current research on public finance include:
- the effects of municipal mergers;
- the effects of transfer tax on the housing market
- political representation and municipal services: we look at how representation of various population and interest groups affects the policies implemented in municipalities;
- housing policy and segregation: we examine the effects of the HITAS system:
- how housing benefit affects housing quality and rents.
- Effectiveness of Private and Public High Schools: Evidence from Finland
- "Love Thy Neighbour"? The Effect of Income and Language Differences on Votes for Municipal Secessions
- Effects of Municipal Mergers on Voter Turnout
- The Effect of Relative School Starting Age on Having an Individualized Curriculum in Finland
- Victorian Voting: Party Orientation and Class Alignment Revisited
- Only slight difference in quality between private and public upper secondary schools
16.5.2018 Press release
- Municipal mergers decreased voter turnout
28.3.2018 Press release
- Children born at the end of the year are more likely to have special education
8.2.2018 Press release
- Municipal mergers did not bring savings but affected the service networks
18.10.2017 Press release
- Kristiina Huttunen appointed research professor at VATT
27.9.2017 Press release