Local public finance and provision of public services
Research in this area consists of public services such as health care, social services and education, as well as state and local public finance, local politics and housing.
Our research projects typically address the effects of public service policy reforms. In particular, we focus on the quality, productivity and effectiveness of public services.
We also have a joint research group on health economics together with the Helsinki Graduate School of Economics.
Current research topics include:
- the costs and benefits of health care information services: particularly the effectiveness of e-prescriptions
- early life environment and human capital formation
- learning outcomes and effectiveness of upper secondary schools.
- the effects of taxing and subsidizing housing
- housing policy and segregation
- voting, political choice and electoral systems.
We have gathered the essential findings from our studies on housing on one page.
- VATT day 13.10.2022: Housing policy now!
- Researcher introduction: Nicola Mauri
- Covid-19 vaccines also protect unvaccinated family members
4.6.2021 Press release
- Academy of Finland Awards presented to Teemu Lyytikäinen
- Pre-electoral coalitions can prevent absolute majorities from forming in municipal councils
26.3.2021 Press release