VATT Institute for Economic Research 30 years
VATT was founded on 1 October 1990, so in 2020 we celebrate our 30th anniversary. In 30 years, there have been various changes in both the economic policy and research priorities. However, our focus has always been on the Finnish welfare state, both the services it provides and their funding.
VATT's Director Generals from 1990 to 2020: (from right) Aki Kangasharju, Seija Ilmakunnas, Reino Hjerppe, Juhana Vartiainen and Anni Huhtala
In honour of the anniversary year, we interviewed all Director Generals of VATT. Their interviews create a picture of the different phases of both the Finnish economic policy and economic research. In addition, we have compiled five thematic articles on VATT's key areas of research and the research results obtained in them.
- The early days of VATT: work behind the scenes of economic policy-making
- Looking to the 2020s: VATT conducts research of high international quality
- VATT in 2010s: More economist thinking in public debate
- VATT in the 2000s: New researcher generation and academic ambition
- VATT in the 2000s: Financial crisis, sustainability gap and changes in the research landscape
- The early days of VATT: Welfare state assessment during the great Finnish depression and the Nokia boom years