Local public finance and provision of public services
Research in this area consists of public services such as health care, social services and education, as well as state and local public finance, local politics and housing.
Our research projects typically address the effects of public service policy reforms. In particular, we focus on the quality, productivity and effectiveness of public services.
We also have a joint research group on health economics together with the Helsinki Graduate School of Economics.
Current research topics include:
- the costs and benefits of health care information services: particularly the effectiveness of e-prescriptions
- early life environment and human capital formation
- learning outcomes and effectiveness of upper secondary schools.
- the effects of taxing and subsidizing housing
- housing policy and segregation
- voting, political choice and electoral systems.
- Municipal mergers decreased voter turnout
28.3.2018 Press release
- Children born at the end of the year are more likely to have special education
8.2.2018 Press release
- Municipal mergers did not bring savings but affected the service networks
18.10.2017 Press release
- Kristiina Huttunen appointed research professor at VATT
27.9.2017 Press release
- Men born early in the year do better in politics and football
5.9.2017 Press release