Business regulation and international economics
We do research on business taxation, industrial policy and subsidies and the impact of globalization on the structure of the Finnish economy.
Our business taxation research projects assess the impact of implemented and potential tax changes on the behaviour of firms and entrepreneurs. Industrial policy research assesses in particular the effectiveness of research and development subsidies. As regards the international economy, we research the impact of economic integration and the growth in trade on the Finnish economy and labour market.
The subjects researched in our ongoing projects include:
- value-added taxation: we research how the VAT threshold affects firms’ behaviour and how changes in VAT rates affect service sector firms, and prices and demand for their goods;
- the mechanisms of the shadow economy and tax planning questions;
- how economic integration and the growth in trade have affected individuals in the labour market in Finland;
- how exports and imports of services have affected the Finnish economy.
As regards services exports, VATT is currently researching the value added accruing to Finland. We are also looking into the extent to which Finnish firms are substituting their own production with imported services, and how this is affecting demand for labour and wages in Finland.
- A Note on the Effects of Income-Splitting under Dual Income Tax
- Innovation, Competition and Technical Efficiency
- Trade, Productivity and Profits: On Profit levels and Profit margins
- The effects of size-based regulation on small firms: evidence from VAT threshold
- Worker-level consequences of import shocks
- Study: Corporate tax reform aiming for tax neutrality would best improve productivity and economic growth
11.1.2017 Press release
- Chinese imports to turn Finland’s labour market upside down
16.5.2016 Press release
- No major regional differences in firms’ profitability in Finland
4.5.2016 Press release
- Firms’ R&D investments increase innovation
11.3.2016 Press release
- Regional aid displaces economic activity rather than creating more of it
7.3.2016 Press release