Business regulation and international economics
We do research on business taxation, industrial policy and subsidies and the impact of globalization on the structure of the Finnish economy.
Our business taxation research projects assess the impact of implemented and potential tax changes on the behaviour of firms and entrepreneurs. Industrial policy research assesses in particular the effectiveness of research and development subsidies. As regards the international economy, we research the impact of economic integration and the growth in trade on the Finnish economy and labour market.
The subjects researched in our ongoing projects include:
- value-added taxation: we research how the VAT threshold affects firms’ behaviour and how changes in VAT rates affect service sector firms, and prices and demand for their goods;
- the mechanisms of the shadow economy and tax planning questions;
- how economic integration and the growth in trade have affected individuals in the labour market in Finland;
- how exports and imports of services have affected the Finnish economy.
As regards services exports, VATT is currently researching the value added accruing to Finland. We are also looking into the extent to which Finnish firms are substituting their own production with imported services, and how this is affecting demand for labour and wages in Finland.
- Common or Own Goals: Reforming the Financing of the European Union
- The expected economic impacts of the EU-Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement in Finland
- The effects of tax-deductible reserves on investment incentives
- Firm Responses to an Interest Barrier: Empirical Evidence
- A Note on the Effects of Income-Splitting under Dual Income Tax
- OPEN VACANCY: Post doc researcher
- EU-Canada free trade agreement brings new market opportunities, particularly for SMEs
5.12.2017 Press release
- The interest barrier introduced by Finland slowed down profit-shifting by multinational enterprises
27.6.2017 Press release
- Study: Corporate tax reform aiming for tax neutrality would best improve productivity and economic growth
11.1.2017 Press release
- Chinese imports to turn Finland’s labour market upside down
16.5.2016 Press release